Wednesday, February 2, 2022

What’s saving my life



It’s that time of year again when I link up with Modern Mrs. Darcy to share what’s saving my life on this most mid-wintery of days.  This is my fifth year!



What saved my life last year.


What saved my life in 2020.


What saved my life in 2019.


What saved my life in 2018.


And what’s saving my life in 2022:



 1.  Seal skins.





They’re not really seal skins.  They’re not made of any skin except a polyester beast.  But they’re tight and warm and sleek.  I have a couple of Cuddl Duds and a Thermajane, and several others.  I wear them to bed and I’ve worn them to run, but I’ve been particularly wearing them every day under my regular clothes and the extra layer makes me able to live in average room temperature like a normal person instead of a shivering weakling burying myself in blankets and whimpering about how cold it is.



2.  Upcoming trip knocking out half of February.





Believe you me, we’ve gone back and forth on whether a major (and expensive) trip during a pandemic was a wise thing to plan, but for better or worse, it is planned, and even if it doesn’t happen, the thought and preparations involved with taking the whole family to somewhere warm(er) with clear blue waters means less wallowing in February doldrums.



3.  Treadmill.





Not for nothing are they known as dreadmills, but we’ve had snow on the ground longer than I can remember us having and my usual trail is icy.  If I waited for it to be clear I’d be weeks without a run and muscle atrophy aside, my brain just wouldn’t do well with that.  So although I avoid it like the plague (which I’m also actively avoiding), I’m thankful we have a treadmill at home.



4.  Homeschooling—no masks, weather delays, mass sickness.





I’ve been thankful from the beginning that we can homeschool, but my gratefulness really kicked up a million notches in March 2020.  Now it’s not abrupt and total school closures that my public school friends are dealing with, but furious arguments about masking (with kids caught in the middle), days and days of weather delays (see previous), and mass absences (last I heard approximately 15% of our local high school has known covid, and many more are also in quarantine from exposure).  Meanwhile we quietly carry on, their education is steadily building, and I thank God every day we can do this.



5.  Hot showers.





These are the best when I’ve actually gotten outside to run (weeks ago), or when it’s 15 degrees outside, or when I’m hesitant to start my day…or any time really.



6.  Cozy bed.





Need I say more?



7.  Coffee.





I shouted out to my Keurig cappuccino maker in last year’s saving-my-life post and I still use it, and look forward to it, every day.



8.  Petting the bunny.





AKA our school mascot.  I love that bunnies are silent pets, but his fur is so soft, and he’s always there for some petting while we work.



9.  Grocery pickup and delivery.





Yes, I know, who doesn’t want to pick out their own cabbage, I get it, but as an option—say, you’re quarantining in preparation for a trip; or you don’t feel good; or you have a super busy weekend; or you’re just getting back into town—pickup and delivery (we have one store that offers one and one store that offers the other) are awesome.



10.  Podcasts.





Thankfulness and positive thinking aside, I really couldn’t stand the treadmill if it wasn’t for podcasts to while away the time literally staring at a spot on the wall for 30 minutes straight.  My favorites these days are Office Ladies (still), Happier, and Matt and Kevin Talk Church



What’s saving your life?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...