Monday, May 28, 2018

The end draws near



Me:  "If I labored for twelve hours to give birth to you, you can do ten minutes of Latin."

Jeddy:  "I don't know.  Have you ever done Latin?"


My helpful diagram for Jeddy simplifying the relationships in Pride and Prejudice, rendered somewhat less perspicuous by Caleb's additions.






We're staggering toward the finish line of the school year, lurching and stumbling.  A few subjects are entirely done; others are plaguing our souls.




We face each school morning with varying degrees of courage.  Sometimes we quail, as I do before one of those yucky millipedes with millions of legs that run really fast across the bathroom when you turn on the light and splatter into numerous twitching pieces when you whack them with a flyswatter.  


*shuddershuddershudder*




Elizabeth, on the other hand, reacts to such diplopodous horrors somewhat differently.  


Recently she noticed a millipede scurrying across the kitchen floor where we were standing.  Before I had time to exclaim, she had reached down and plucked it up by its antenna between her thumb and finger.  She held it aloft and gazed at it while it writhed its many-legged body.  "Look," she said.  "I'm picking it up by its whiskers!"








Jeddy is done with most of his seventh grade work.  He spent this school day mowing the lawn and playing with Legos.  


Also, his voice changed.  Suddenly. 


I didn't notice it until I was half dressed one early morning and heard talking downstairs and thought, "Oh no, who's here?  There's a man in the house!" 




Seven more school days.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...