Wednesday, December 16, 2020

He gives



God so loved the world that He gave...

John 3:16 




Stupid covid notwithstanding, tis the season for decorations, carols, lights, and cookies.






Every year I am forced by my abysmal lack of self-control holiday spirit to eat so, SO many cookies, but this year it seems like my patriotic duty somehow.  (Because covid.  You know, support essential workers by buying butter, sugar and flour.  And encourage the future economic restart by honing my daughters’ marketable baking skills.)  Also, calories don’t count at Christmas, and they don’t count in a pandemic, so add that up and Christmas fudge should pretty much give me a beach bod.  


This year I reveled in the fruits of parenting by sitting back with an adult beverage while my big kids hauled in, set up, and lit the Christmas tree.  I love having teenagers.






 


We have so much to be thankful for.  I am quarantining with my favorite people on the planet, for example.




More than that, as this season reminds us, God gave His one and only Son.




When our sin was black as a winter night, as this sermon says, God justifies not by demanding from us, but by giving to us.  Or as Caedmon’s Call said of grace, All that it asks it provides.




So we play in the snow and remember that though our sins are like scarlet, He washes us white as snow.




We love twinkle lights because He is the light of the dark world.




We give each other gifts to reflect the heart of the Father Who gave the best gift of all.






We honor one special evergreen tree with crusty pipe-cleaner ornaments because Jesus gives everlasting life.






And we eat cookies because knowing the Lord is sweet, and one day we will feast at Jesus’s table, where there will be no more sorrow or sickness or pain.




And that means more even than my patriotic duty.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...