Saturday, November 27, 2021

Greater to come

 


The celebration of Advent is possible only to those who are troubled in soul, who know themselves to be poor and imperfect, and who look forward to something greater to come.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer













We received our first Christmas card, which had the above quote on it.  We also decided to spend Family Fun Night putting up Christmas decorations, but our enthusiasm fizzled out sometime between dragging out and emptying all the boxes, and complete holiday charm.  So now we have light strands strewn across the yard and the sidewalk (guaranteed to trip anyone who dares to approach), garlands covering the entryway floor, furniture pulled out from the wall, and cords and questionable light bulbs everywhere.











The kids did succeed in moving the moldy jack-o-lanterns off the front stoop, so I’m way ahead of where I am some years.  (Pro tip: do your jack-o-lanterns really early and leave them out, and they grow black mold in the teeth that makes them way spookier!)











When I went to post pictures of Thanksgiving, I discovered more pictures from Halloween that I had forgotten were on my camera. 















Dietrich Bonhoeffer, you’re right.  I am poor and imperfect, in ways far deeper than the obvious lack of domestic capabilities.  This fallen world troubles my soul—the cancer and the famine and the hatred…but almost just as much the smaller things, like slicing a gash in my hand while innocently planting some lovely bulbs for spring (domestic capabilities again).  Flowers should be beautiful and joyous, and they almost are, until something bad like that happens.  And pumpkin pie is so good, until I’m bent into fetal position from overindulging in it.  The good-but-not-perfect things in this world serve to frustrate me and remind that yes, I look forward to something greater to come.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...