Monday, June 15, 2020

The nautilus and I



Photo by Shaun Low on Unsplash

Maybe that's the secret of the nautilus's survival across eons of extinction:  a refuge in the depths, far from the dangerous world.

-"Big Pacific," Season 1, Episode 1



Jason discovered a new documentary series on Amazon Prime that is beautiful, mesmerizing, and smart, despite being narrated with an American accent.  Episode 1 features the nautilus--squidy, ancient creatures that come near the surface to hunt but retreat to spend much of their time in the safe deep.




Covid-19 goes on.  And on and on and on.  


Solid scientific information is scant; official guidance is sketchy.  Much decision making comes down to "what you feel comfortable with," which is fitting for a society that loves to make up our own reality.


Ada made me a penguin diorama for Mother's Day.  It features scenes from all our favorite penguin YouTube videos.












The penguins representing us, watching penguin antics from our armchairs.


And so I read, and search, and reread, and research.


This is how much Covid sucks.


What do I "feel comfortable" with?  I don't know; what SHOULD I feel comfortable with?  




Is it reasonably safe to go to church?  What if we wear a mask but still sing?  What if we socially distance inside?  Can we chat in the parking lot?  


Can I let my kids play volleyball with the youth group?  What about a movie night?  What about going to the pool?  What about swim team?  What about swim team with social distancing?


Can we see our family members?  Can we see them all at once or just one at a time?  And should we self-isolate for two weeks afterwards?  








And how soon until one or more of my kids loses their mind and runs away to join an inner-city gang just to have a friend?





It's mind-bending.  And unending.  What's allowed, what's recommended, what's over the top, what's imprudent.  And how do you avoid offending others? 


Caleb was beyond thrilled to use his safety cones to block the road so we could trim the tree.


And when, O Lord, when will it end?





Which is why this line about the nautilus caught my attention.  


The secret for the nautilus's survival is a refuge in the depths; so it is for me.  


Ears "skiing."


...and the result.  His skills are about like mine.


I run myself in circles trying to sort out all these covid decisions.  I need a refuge in the depths, far from the dangerous world.  


God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
~Psalm 46:1


It is better to take refuge in the LORD
Than to trust in man.
~Psalm 118:8


You are my refuge in the day of disaster.
~Jeremiah 17:17




I must close out the Unprecedented Worldwide Crisis sometimes and retreat to Jesus, in Whose depths are perfect, everlasting, unshakeable peace.  Eternity is much much longer than covid.  Ultimately, I am held safe.  I am loved.  I am not alone.




O Love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in Thee;
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

Indelible Grace, "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go"


Photo by Cristian Palmer on Unsplash




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...