Friday, March 17, 2023

Castaway Cay



Thursday was a welcome sea day after the adventures of the previous two.  Jason and I enjoyed an evening in one of the adult lounges listening to live pop acapella.






Our last cruise day was spent on Castaway Cay, which is the normal order of events on a non-covid year.  


This time it was I who was up early, wanting to see us dock, but the island wasn’t even in view when I got up there.  I did see it appear on the horizon and gradually come closer, but I wanted breakfast before the all ashore call more than I wanted to watch the dock.




We wasted no time in getting off and hoofing it to the same ideal shady spot we found last year, claiming chairs before the competition caught up.




Happily I did not encounter Barry the Barracuda in my snorkeling.  The most deadly-looking creature I saw was this stingray, which had a charming little fish buddy.




















Whether due to its age or user error, my snorkel mask was fitting uncomfortably tight and making my face sore, so I didn’t explore nearly as far as last year.


























































I gave Jason the GoPro while I basked on my lounge chair and later on floaties that Caleb and I hunted down.  He had closer fishy encounters than I did.




Greatest photo bomb ever.
























He also found a stingray and watched it burrow itself into the sand, presumably to jump out at unsuspecting fish/snorkelers.










Jeddy and Ada occupied themselves by walking the 5k trail, thereby proudly winning Mickey medals.






Thankfully they gave us about six hours to laze away on Castaway, because that night we had to pack up for Saturday morning’s final debarkation.


Returning full-circle to Mindy’s Travel Tips #1 and 2:  Arrive at the airport hours early and relax.


For example, find a lounge area with a bar lined with charging ports that looks out onto a runway.  Eat overpriced snacks, play computer games, watch airplanes zoom around, and scratch your itchy sunburn that will peel off all too soon.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...