Thursday, February 13, 2014

You can't always get what you want

It's really hard to meet everyone's needs.


It always baffled me why newborns are designed to wake and eat every two hours round the clock, with itty-bitty sleep cycles, when their caregivers require nice long sleep cycles, preferably of the eight-hour kind.  Why do baby humans require care that feels so likely to destroy their source of care?


Thankfully we're sleeping through the night here, but there are still clashing needs.  And they still center on sleep.


Caleb doesn't quite need a morning nap anymore but he can't make it to the end of school without crying... so we have little ones who need a nap, big ones who need school, and a mom who needs time when everyone is quiet at once.






File photo.  Not from Snowpocalypse.


Today I took the plunge and put the littles down earlier and finished school without them, thereby shortening my own downtime.


The jury's still out on this schedule, however, since we got "snowpocalypse" today, according to the newspaper, and I spent the whole time shoveling a foot of snow.


Shall I be surprised to find myself so often unable to be all in all?  Who defines what I really need but the One who says He causes all things to work together for my good?  What I most need is to feel my need of Him.  What my children most need is to look beyond me to the Living Water that always satisfies.


"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19




1 comment:

  1. “You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.” Abraham Lincoln --whose birthday was celebrated Wed. just up the road from you guys. I didn't get to go this year cause I mistakenly made a haircut appointment during the ceremony time. Next year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...