Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ordinary means


Our pastor has been talking a lot lately about the "ordinary means of grace."  


"The outward and ordinary means whereby Christ communicateth to us the benefits of redemption, are his ordinances, especially the word, sacraments, and prayer."  -The Westminster Shorter Catechism (1647), Question 88


In other words, spectacular miracles don't generally create faith; Christ works in hearts through everyday, "ordinary" means, such as the Word of God read and preached.  Scripture is the "power of God for salvation" (Romans 1:16).


What extraordinary blessing to have this "ordinary" means of grace:  the very Word of God, at our fingertips, read aloud in our homes, preached freely on Sundays, opened to us by faith and the irresistible beckon of His Spirit.


May God bless the reading and hearing of His Word, for us and for our children.


Laden with guilt and full of fears
I fly to Thee, my Lord
And not a glimpse of hope appears
But in Thy written Word
The volumes of my Father's grace
Does all my griefs assuage
Here I behold my Savior's face
In every page

This is the field where hidden lies
The pearl of price unknown
That merchant is divinely wise
Who makes the pearl his own
Here consecrated waters flow
To quench my thirst of sin
Here the fair tree of knowledge grows
No danger dwells within

This is the judge that ends the strife
Where wit and reason fail
My guide to everlasting life
Throughout this gloomy vale
O may Thy counsels, mighty God
My roving feet command
Nor I forsake the happy road
That leads to Thy right hand

"Laden With Guilt," by Isaac Watts




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...