Saturday, March 9, 2019

An open letter to single moms in church



Dear mom of young children, alone in the pew,



Thank you for coming to church today.  Thank you for bringing your children. 


I see your weariness on your haggard face.  I know your frayed sanity seems to hang by a shred. 


I read your mind as clearly as I read my bulletin:  "Why did I even come?  What's the point?  I haven't heard a single thing the pastor has said." 


I know you have had it up to HERE.


I see your children climbing on you and fighting over who gets to sit where.  I saw your adorable preschooler smack her brother across the face when you weren't looking.  I hear your children whining.


I'm so blessed by you and your children being here.


I know that I'm not the only one trying to pass on the gospel to the next generation.  I know I'm not the only one who cares so much that I would wake a sleeping baby to get to church this morning.


I see how hard you're working to bring your children into God's presence, and I have hope for the future.  I see our Lord welcoming and delighting in little sinners, and I have hope for myself.


You may not have heard a word of the sermon or stopped whispering reprimands long enough to pray a single prayer, but your family's presence is preaching the gospel to me.  You believe Jesus is worth it.  You long for your children to know the Lord, and you are willing to sacrifice morning after morning, wrestling in the pew, to invest in that hope.  Nothing is more important to you than worshipping our God--not even sleep, or ease, or pretending you've got it all together. 


Don't be bothered that I see your children misbehave.  Please keep coming.  Please keep sitting near me.  Please be encouraged, dear one, that you and your children truly help me rejoice in our Savior Who beckoned little ones to come to Him.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...