Monday, November 4, 2019

Pictures of death and real life



What are we up to these days?  


Well, slaughtering pretend sheep, for one thing.




Jason and I scored the fabulous job of teaching a new Sunday school class for adults with disabilities.  It is so fun.  I get to make up the lessons, and Jason assists me in teaching--by, for example, spraying ketchup all over the place when I slaughter a sheep made of polyester batting.


To keep things simple, I decided we would do a run-through of the entire Bible this year.  We meet every other week, so we've had five classes so far, and now we're up to Exodus.  But the sheep slaughtering started in Genesis with the story of Abraham.  


When God made the covenant with Abraham--to make his descendants into a great nation, to take care of them, to give them a land of their own, and to bless the whole world through them--God directed him to kill a sheep and cut it in half.  


Sorry, poly-fill sheep, it's about to get real.  


I divided the sheep, Jason squirted ketchup, and everyone gasped and groaned.  Then we turned out the light to illustrate that God put Abraham to sleep, and I lit a candle and passed it between the sheep pieces--as God did, to signify that He Himself will keep the covenant.  Abraham did not pass through the pieces.  The only One to bear the bloody consequence of a broken covenant would be God Himself; only He would become as the slaughtered sheep.


Last month I had an almost-professional photo shoot.  As in, subject of said shoot used the photos for her professional bio page.  Being a beloved sister-in-law, I kept my fee low.  


Just a hug.




Easy to get great pictures when your subject is gorgeous!


She was pleased enough with the result, the headshot was uploaded and duly approved, and I felt greatly inspired to skip paying someone for my own children's 2019 school portraits.


Little did I know that Photographer's Kid Syndrome is real. 





Jenny, of Be Thou My Vision Photography, assures me it's harder with your own kids.  Even for the pros.


True or not, she made me feel much better about the weensy ratio of decent photos to total attempted. 










This one became official for the year.


This one did not. 


This one did.


This one: also official.




















He wishes.


Lizzy's official.




We circled back to slaughtered sheep the next time at Sunday school.  This lesson was on the Exodus out of Egypt.  In the final plague, God killed the firstborn of every household--unless He saw the blood of an innocent lamb covering the doorframe, in which case His judgement passed over.  




This week our slaughtered sheep was a cotton ball, and we went with paint instead of ketchup.  Above is an Israelite home, where all the occupants are saved by the blood of the lamb smeared on the lintel, killed in their place. 


What precious hope that God would cover even us with the blood of the Lamb.


"Dear Mr., Mrs., Ms., or Miss, Tooth Fairy
I have placed My tooth inside of my tooth pillow.  I have wrapped it in a paper towl because it is gross.
Hope you are well,
Ada"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...