Thursday, December 26, 2019

Singing through the Psalms, part II



Part I of this series is here.


Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14:  "The LORD is my light and my salvation; / Whom shall I fear? / The LORD is the defense of my life; / Whom shall I dread?...One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: / That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life...I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD / In the land of the living. / Wait for the LORD; / Be strong and let your heart take courage; / Yes, wait for the LORD."



The Lord is my light and my salvation, of whom shall I be afraid?

The Lord is my light and my help; whom should I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; before whom should I shrink?

There is one thing I ask of the Lord; for this I long;
to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.

I believe I shall see the goodness of the Lord, in the land of the living;
hope in Him and take heart, hope in the Lord!



Psalm 30:5:  "Weeping may last for the night, / But a shout of joy comes in the morning."


Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning




Psalm 34:1-4, 7, 10-15:  

"I will bless the LORD at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul will make its boast in the LORD;
The humble will hear of it and rejoice.
O magnify the LORD with me,
And let us exalt His name together.

I sought the LORD, and He answered me,
And delivered me from all my fears...
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him,
And rescues them...

The young lions do lack and suffer hunger;
But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing.
Come, you children, listen to me...
Who is the man who desires life
And loves length of days that he may see good?
Keep your tongue from evil and do good;
Seek peace and pursue it.

The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous
And His ears are open to their cry.


At all times I will bless Him
His praise will be in my mouth
My soul makes its boast in the Lord
The humble man will hear of Him
The afflicted will be glad
And join with me to magnify the Lord

Let us exalt His name together, forever
I sought the Lord, He heard me
And delivered me from my fears.
Let us exalt His name together, forever
O sing His praises magnify the Lord

The angel of the Lord encamps
Round those who fear His name
To save them and deliver them from harm
Though lions roar with hunger
We lack for no good thing
No wonder then we praise Him with our song

Come children now and hear Him
If you would see long life
Just keep your lips from wickedness and lies
Do good and turn from evil
Seek peace instead of strife
Love righteousness and God will hear your cry





Psalm 36:5-6:  "Your lovingkindness, O LORD, extends to the heavens, / Your faithfulness reaches to the skies. / Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; / Your judgments are like a great deep."


Your love, oh Lord
Reaches to the heavens
Your faithfulness stretches to the sky
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains
Your justice flows like the ocean's tide





Psalm 38:15-16:  "For I hope in You, O LORD...May they not rejoice over me"


Do not let me be put to shame
Nor let my enemies triumph over me
My hope is You






Psalm 40:17:  "You are my help and my deliverer"


God You're my deliverer





Psalm 42:1:  "As the deer pants for the water brooks, / So my soul pants for You, O God."


As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul panteth after Thee





Note that these are just the songs that I can find on the internet.  There are a few others that pop into my head when I read that I swear my own brain isn't making up, but they have either never found their way online, or I can't retrieve more than a tiny clip from my dusty memories to google them properly.  


Regardless, I'm so thankful to have been soaked in the Scriptures for my entire life, from the very earliest age.  (Thank you, Mom and Dad.)


And for the bonus, New Testament references from the Psalms...


- Jesus quotes Psalm 31:5 ("Into Your hand I commit my spirit") as He dies, in Luke 23:46.


- Psalm 40:7-8 ("Then I said, 'Behold, I come; / In the scroll of the book it is written of me. / I delight to do Your will, O my God") is quoted in Hebrews 10:7.  


- Psalm 41:9 ("Even my close friend in whom I trusted, / Who ate my bread, / Has lifted up his heel against me.") is quoted by Jesus in John 13:18, in reference to Judas Iscariot, who left directly from dining with Jesus to betray Him.


- Psalm 44:22 ("But for Your sake we are killed all day long; / We are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.") is quoted in Romans 8:36.


Here's an intriguing story I read this morning:  a new project to set all 150 Psalms to music.  (Which they once were, of course, though the tunes are lost to us now.)


I hope my own kids are so soaked in the Bible that they too will need read only a snippet to set them humming all the rest of the day.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...