Friday, December 27, 2019

Singing through the Psalms, part III



Part I (Psalms 1-25) here.


Part II (Psalms 26-50) here.


Highlighting just a couple Psalm-inspired songs today...


Psalm 51:10-12:  "Create in me a clean heart, O God, / And renew a steadfast spirit within me. / Do not cast me away from Your presence / And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. / Restore to me the joy of Your salvation"



Create in me a clean heart, O God
And renew a right spirit within me

Cast me not away from Thy presence, O Lord
And take not Thy Holy Spirit from me
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation
And renew a right spirit within me





Psalm 57:9-11:  "I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the peoples; / I will sing praises to You among the nations. / For Your lovingkindness is great to the heavens / And Your truth to the clouds. / Be exalted above the heavens, O God; / Let Your glory be above all the earth."


I will give thanks to Thee
O Lord, among the people
I will sing praises to Thee
Among the nations
For Thy steadfast love is great
Is great to the heavens
And Thy faithfulness
Thy faithfulness to the clouds

Be exalted, O God
Above the heavens
Let Thy glory be over all the earth





But here are several New Testament Psalm references from this section:


- Psalm 53:1-3 ("There is no one who does good. / God has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men / To see if there is anyone who understands, / Who seeks after God. / Every one of them has turned aside; together they have become corrupt; / There is no one who does good, not even one."), which is almost an exact replica of Psalm 14, is quoted in Romans 3:10-12.


- Psalm 68:18 ("You have ascended on high, You have led captive Your captives; / You have received gifts among men") is cited in Ephesians 4:8.


- Psalm 69:9 ("For zeal for Your house has consumed me") is quoted in John 2:17 as a commentary on Jesus driving the moneychangers out of the temple.


- Psalms 69:21 ("They also gave me gall for my food / And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.") is fulfilled by Jesus on the cross, as described in Matthew 27:34, 48; Mark 15:23, 36; Luke 23:36; and John 19:29.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...