Friday, February 21, 2020

Links from the bunny trail



I'm thinking I'd like to join some of my favorite bloggers who have this Friday feature--posting links from around the web for my readers' amusement, edification, and/or inspiration.


The Nester has The Cozy Minimal List; Like Mother Like Daughter has Bits & Pieces; Modern Mrs. Darcy has Links I Love.  Seeing as my finds have nothing to do with professional research but everything to do with clicking down useless rabbit trails while forgetting that I opened my computer to order more laundry detergent before we run out, I give you


Links from the Bunny Trail:


- This absolutely delights me.  Trevor Noah of the Daily Show covers the Ugandan Parliament brawl.  Reminds you that as embarrassing as US politics are, they could always be worse, yeah?


- We recently put away all our former plates and bowls and replaced them with color-coded sets:  one large plate, one small plate, and one bowl for each member of the family.  Everyone is responsible for washing their own plate.  We recently added this set of color-coded silverware.  It's not a perfect system, but it does cut down on the dish pileup, not to mention the moldy bowls that linger in some forgotten corner of the playroom for weeks on end.


- This explanation of how to make "English jacket potatoes" seemed so adorably British, but once I tried it, I remembered that though the English are great at tea and grammar, they're not known for their crowd-pleasing cuisine.  This method ruined the skins, in my opinion.  I'll go back to my trusty lazy method:  wash the potatoes and lay them on a pan; bake for a hour(ish) at 375(ish).


- Here's a helpful list of cooked beef temperatures for the doneness you want (including the obligatory "safe" temperature per USDA).  I found this when ambitiously making beef medallions for date night a few weeks ago.


- File this under "Disappointing Pinterest Promises."  It was supposed to be simple, fast, delicious, and change my life.  Instead it was way too runny.  I haven't forgotten it entirely, and wonder if I tweaked it somehow, could it still revolutionize my life?


- After some googling to figure out what beef medallions actually are, I settled on this recipe for the sauce, using the rum I had on hand instead of the cognac I didn't.


- Is this free and available??


- I thought I'd go for this in January, when we got back from Gatlinburg, since it's not a resolution, it's a "recalibration," which is completely different from obviously doomed-to-fail New Year's resolutions, which I am way too smart to be drawn into.  This plan calls for avoiding all sugar, wheat, dairy, and alcohol for two weeks.  Even in my January idealism that seemed unrealistic, so I decided I would just avoid sugar for two weeks--a life revolution if ever I would have one. And after a week and a few days, I decided to round up and call it good enough.  Spoiler:  it hasn't "recalibrated" my palate to stop liking late-night Ben & Jerry's pints of Brownie Batter Core.


- A tongue-in-cheek list of "Six Ways to Look Godly While Not Growing in Your Faith" for the new year.


Happy Friday!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...