Friday, April 3, 2020

Links from the bunny trail



Happy pandemic Friday everyone!  I hope you're all safe and sound and sheltering in place.


If, like me, you're battling constant anxiety about the world crisis, or are alone and bored out of your mind, or really, in any situation whatsoever....you need penguins.  Always penguins.





This additional video of a proud but misguided penguin couple gave me giggle fits.





Dear Vickie Jo passed on this site with links to all kinds of children's-book-related sites that are now free, thanks to coronavirus.  They are sites that libraries and schools use and are normally very expensive--think $2000 yearly fee.  And now free!




Jeddy introduced me to the science videos of Mark Rober, which you can explore if you want to do at-home science experiments on a massive scale.  During our last Sunday brunch, in which we were all enjoying a particularly fluffy batch of biscuits, made from the homemade mix I keep in a large tub, we discussed how the biscuits are always best and fluffiest when the mix is freshly mixed up, presumably because it's aerated.  That's when Jeddy tried to convince me to rig up a "fluidized air bed" with PVC pipes to keep my biscuit mix optimally aerated at all times.  When I had no idea what he was talking about, he showed me this handy tutorial.




On a more serious note, we are all wondering the same thing:  what is going to happen next?  This interactive map displays graphs of when Covid cases are projected to peak in each state, and what effect different interventions will have on flattening the curve.  Sobering and dire for sure--and drives home the message to stay at home!  And don't breathe on the delivery people.




I'm absolutely guilty of binging on CNN these days.  Usually my kids tease me about having backlogged newspapers stacked up that I haven't read yet, but in the days of Covid I'm devouring the scary, sad news.  This article is a gentle warning about feeding our minds, with a lovely "wisdom pyramid."




Add this to your list of homeschooling or bettering-yourself-when-you're-bored resources:  the national Internet Archive is allowing free access to electronically borrow.... I think any book in the Library of Congress, which is ANY book.  I haven't actually signed up, but if this is what I think it is, it's a mind-boggling resource.




On a similar note, Standard EBooks is a permanent (non-Covid-related) collection of beautifully produced classics in free, electronic form.  It seems that you can download the entire books to your device, for free, anytime, to keep forever, with no account needed.




While you're bettering your literacy, maybe consider sewing masks for the many organizations that are accepting them.




And lastly, consider signing up to pray.  The Potter's School is an online academy that we use for some of Jeddy's school, and they serve students across many timezones around the world.  So they set up a calendar where anyone can sign up for a 15-minute slot to pray for the world during this Covid crisis.  The idea is that people around the world will be praying together, round the clock.




Happy Friday, everyone.  Please stay safe.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...