Friday, April 17, 2020

Links from the bunny trail



- How many times have I googled this and then tried to forget it forever, only to google it again later?  Now it can plague your life too, sorry not sorry, you're welcome.




- I love this.  I agree, "Doubting" Thomas gets such a bad rap.




- Prepare to be mesmerized.  And make sure you have the sound on.





In case you are seriously still going in public without covering your face, here is a lovely, relaxing instructional video showing how to fashion a no-sew mask in about a minute.





I don't know about you, but I haven't seen baking yeast on the shelves for six weeks.  Supposedly, through the magic of biology, you can make your own yeast at home?  I've been following these instructions for about two weeks and hope to use it for my tried-and-true, beloved biscuit recipe this Sunday brunch.  I did use it earlier this week for a sandwich bun recipe that I found online, being unable to find one around my own collection.  The buns came out.... um... not ideal.  They seemed to be some sort of magical biological fail, actually.  I baked them like three times as long as I was supposed to and they just got denser, and never turned anything beyond grayish-white, and the middles were still a little gummy.  Here's hoping it was a bad recipe...




This article corroborates the procedure in the other article, and suggests a quantity of starter to use when replacing the yeast called for in your recipe.  It also has this optimistic gem:  "What you lose in time, you may find you make up for in flavor and fun."




Wow.  This is just like the real thing!  Except it's not the same music.  I have to keep the sound off, because it's not quite the Tetris experience without the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.




I had just said to Jason, "Imagine if we were in St. Lucia when the virus hit, and we couldn't get back in time, and we were stuck there!"  And then I came across this article about a couple for whom that pretty much exactly happened.  They were stuck there--the only two guests in the entire resort--but the entire staff was still there, waiting on them hand and foot out of sheer boredom.  They were serving them, taking them snorkeling, even putting on evening shows for them.  What an unbelievable dream!  And yet... it sounds kind of disconcerting and hollow as well.  The wife is quoted as saying, "Everyone says they want to be stuck on a tropical island, until you're actually stuck."




New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern hasn't lost her sense of humor--or her perspective on what's important.




If you want a good laugh, and a song stuck in your head all day, look no further.




And good news, dads across America have also not lost their terrible sense of humor.  Here's the story of one who makes the whole neighborhood groan together.  (The comments at the bottom are great too!)




Happy quarantine week 6!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...