Tuesday, July 21, 2015

For those who ask



Three months after the onset of Lyme disease, my symptoms are not yet gone.  The first month was all downhill until I was slumped in a wheelchair, so I have been improving for two months.  As of now:


My jaw is weak, sore and shaky.  (Not nearly as weak.  Eating a meal doesn't wear me out.)


My salivary glands sting intensely whenever I start to salivate; ie, every time I start eating.  If this is the weirdest thing you've ever heard of, you're not alone.  When I described this to a nurse on the phone yesterday, it was met with silence.  Followed by a request to hold please.


My shoulders are stiff.  I can raise my arms momentarily now before it starts to hurt.


My triceps, quads, and calves are sore.  It hurts when the kids sit on my lap or when I squat onto my calves.


My fingertips are tingly.  It's nothing like the numbness that overspread a large portion of my body before, though.


My face is sore.  My cheeks hurt to the touch.


I can't move quickly, as in run, even in short bursts, say, to stop a child running into a road.  My legs are too heavy to move suddenly.




All this is part of my public service announcement:  Check For Ticks!  If you find one on or near you:  Panic and renounce all hope.


But seriously, if it's attached to you, grasp it carefully and calmly with tweezers and pull it out.


And panic.




I'm at least 90% healthy.  My strength is lagging but I am living normally:  walking, talking, picking up my kids, putting meals on the table (thanks to many generous providers we still have meals in the freezer), going up and down stairs like a boss.


I'm a big fan of the Lyme vaccine idea.  When they finally invent that, that is one needle I will eagerly sign up for.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...