Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Happy happy



Jason turned 40.




Despite his express wish for a jazz funeral held in his honor in New Orleans, I had to do the next-best thing and take him on a mystery birthday trip.


I told him to take off work and gave him departure and return times and a packing list.  He seemed delighted to be treated to a mystery surprise, but it drove the kids crazy.  I gave them the same information--no more.  They tried their best in the weeks leading up to it to trick me into giving away more information, but I held fast.  I've never seen them so eager on the edge of their seats on a car ride.


I made a new playlist just for the family road trip entitled "Karaoke Party."  Included was the Beatles' "Eight Days a Week."  Sometime after the second verse, Caleb burst out from the backseat, "That's more than a week!"  Somewhat indignant, he informed us, "That's an extra day!"  Along about the third or fourth (admittedly repetitive) verse, I heard him mutter, "Eight days a week again, geez."


The trip was only revealed in stages.  First stop, we checked into a hotel with an indoor pool and a few hours to play before dinner.






Then I drove them to Ted's Bulletin, where Caleb had a Mr. Breakfast for dinner and we all had milkshakes.




The next morning I had everybody dress up, much to their bemusement.




We parked downtown and walked to the waterfront of the Potomac, where a cruise ship stood waiting for us and things started to become clear.




Trying to hold up 40 fingers








All aboard the cherry blossom lunch cruise!
























With time to spare before our dinner adventure, we hopped aboard an open-air tour bus for a ride.




Which was right up Caleb's alley, especially when he got the seat in the very front.




Next up, Dave and Buster's.








After that, everyone stayed up way late watching the NCAA final back in our hotel room.  


(We tried to put Caleb to bed, but he came out after a while holding his bleeding mouth open and wailing that he lost a tooth.  I asked, "Where is the tooth?"  "I don't know!  I LOST it!")


We slept in very late the next morning and concluded our birthday trip with brunch at a diner before heading home.


Happy birthday to Jason, and many happy more.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...