Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Tell me, mate, I need to know



Recently listening to some lectures by Carl Trueman reminded me of the several British people we met in St. Lucia and the partially-serious remark I made to Jason that I would ask all my questions of the next British person we met.  


Such as:  What is the difference between the United Kingdom and Great Britain?


Do you really eat fish for breakfast?  (I assumed the poached tuna on the breakfast buffet in St. Lucia was for you, because it definitely wasn't for my benefit.)




Do you like how we talk as much as we like how you talk, or do you find it annoying because we're saying it wrong?


Do you celebrate Guy Fawkes Day?  Does it strike you as weird to burn an effigy on a bonfire?




What are kippers anyway?


In light of the ancient history of your land from whence so many of today's nations sprung, the world dominance of the seventeenth-century British Empire, and the surprising success of the relatively recent upstart American Revolution, do you resent the United States's perceived position as the current standard of western civilization?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...