Monday, December 29, 2014

James, lost and found



I cleaned out my nightstand drawer recently and discovered an unfinished Bible study on James that I started three years ago and forgot about two and a half years ago.


{Note to self:  clean out nightstand drawer more often.}


I've spent the last few weeks finishing the study.  The very last question in the book directed me to look back at application points I had written down throughout the study and see if any "continue to challenge" me.


At this point, Caedmon's Call's "Thankful" started running through my head.


You know I ran across 
An old box of letters
While I was bagging up some clothes for Goodwill
But you know I had to laugh 
That the same old struggles
That plagued me then are plaguing me still
I know the road is long 
From the ground to glory
But a boy can hope he's getting someplace


True, I listed several areas of growth over the last three years.  But it was kind of amazing to read what I had written for points of application and see how relevant it still was.  


On receiving life versus death:


Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life...when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
James 1:12, 15


Timely application:


At every trial, thank God for an opportunity to grow and ask Him to help me do so.


On the Word:


Everyone must be quick to hear...Draw near to God and He will draw near to you...purify your hearts, you double-minded.
James 1:19, 4:8


Timely application:


Pursue devotional times more consistently, especially on the weekends.  Be sure I study God's Word this weekend.


On the image of God:


With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God.
James 3:9


Timely application:


Realize that living with my children is holy ground.


More on thankfulness:


Submit therefore to God...you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow..."If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that."
James 4:7, 14-15


Timely application:


Be thankful and don't complain about anything.  Thank God for this time.  


It's like I know myself or something.


Or, it's like God's Word is relevant to my life.


I'm almost done with the second of my two Christmas break projects (the first being to plan a group field trip), which is to prepare a Bible study to do with a delightful young woman I've started meeting with.  We'll be studying various passages on the desirability of God and His Word; mainly Psalm 119.  I'm looking forward to delving into the Word with her, being more conformed to the image of Christ and rejoicing in His grace to sinners.


O how I love Your law!

~Psalm 119:97








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...