Saturday, July 1, 2017

The most wonderful week of the year



School is out for summer.  Oh yeeeaaahh...


Since school is out and my schedule isn't so tight, last week I fulfilled my longtime dream to bike through town with my basket full of fresh market produce, when I picked up my weekly CSA. 


I had to imagine my stylish scarf flapping in the breeze, and the Eiffel Tower in the background.
And significantly less sweat running down my face.


Much of that produce got pressed into the hands of friends, visitors, and random people who got near me last week, since this week is..... my favorite week of the year.


Beach week!






We made the very very long trip leisurely this year, making a 4-hour layover at Nana's house and prebooking a hotel several hours further than that.






Also, Nana's garden is beautiful.






Also she fed us cake.
Best layover ever.


They had the beach house ready when we arrived, and after unloading the car until sweat ran like rivers, we jumped straight in the pool.


In his excitement and new release from 9 hours strapped in a carseat, Caleb promptly tripped on the brick steps.  When he saw the drop of blood form, he started screaming uncontrollably, convinced he would never walk again.


Thank goodness, Auntie Sam to the rescue with an early birthday present.




Peace restored to galaxy.








I've always loved the beach.  Maybe it's just human nature [I don't understand people who don't like the beach]; maybe it's early memories of enjoying running with my cousins at the beach on vacation; maybe it's being so warm; maybe it's the majestic, contemplative beauty of the seaside.


But Hilton Head is extra special.


I fell in love here.


We had been dating for four months when Jason invited me to join his family on vacation.  He had, shall I say, certain designs on me, that involved the rest of his life.  And he was determined to sell his idea on me.




And this is a great place to romance a woman.  Gorgeous scenery, winding bike paths, great seafood, walks on the beach, horseback riding...


That beach week also showcased Jason's super fun and wonderful family, which--as any married person with sense will tell you--matters a lot.





The end results are: 


A)  I married him; and 


B) Spanish moss still gives me butterflies.






This year's beach week novelty:  an inflatable craft of epic proportions.




Her maiden voyage faced unusually rough conditions, so by the time one kid got bucked off into the surf and two other kids were crying in a panic, we decided there are certain reasonable parameters we should heed when enjoying one's inflatable sea craft.


But the week is young.  Live and learn, practice makes perfect, and all that.  We'll study the tides and try again soon.


Vive l'amour; vive la plage.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...