Thursday, January 2, 2020

Singing through the Psalms, part IV



Part I [Psalms 1-25].


Part II [Psalms 26-50].


Part III [Psalms 51-75].


Part IV [Psalms 76-100]:  A mashup of Catholic responsorial psalms, camp songs, 70's praise music, and Matt Redman.


Psalm 81:1:  "Sing for joy to God our strength"



Sing for joy to God our strength





Psalm 81:16:  "But I would feed you with the finest of the wheat"



You satisfy the hungry heart
With gift of finest wheat






Psalm 84:1-2, 10:  "How lovely are Your dwelling places, / O LORD of hosts! / My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD; / My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God...For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand outside."  



How lovely is Your dwelling place
O Lord Almighty
For my soul longs and even faints for You...

Better is one day in Your courts
Than thousands elsewhere...

My heart and flesh cry out
For You, the living God





Psalm 91:1-2, 4-5, 11-12:  "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High / Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. / I will say to the LORD, 'My refuge and my fortress, / My God, in whom I trust!'...He will cover you with His pinions, / And under His wings you may seek refuge; / His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. / You will not be afraid of the terror by night, / Or of the arrow that flies by day...For He will give His angels charge concerning you, / To guard you in all your ways. / They will bear you up in their hands, / That you do not strike your foot against a stone."


You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord
Who abide in His shadow for life
Say to the Lord, "My refuge
My Rock in Whom I trust."

You need not fear the terror of the night
Nor the arrow that flies by day
Under His wings your refuge
His faithfulness your shield

For to His angels He's given a command
To guard you in all of your ways
Upon their hands they will bear you up
Lest you dash your foot against a stone





Psalm 95:1-2, 6-9:  "O come, let us sing for joy to the LORD, / Let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation. / Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, / Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms...Come, let us worship and bow down, / Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. / For He is our God, / And we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand. / Today, if you would hear His voice, / Do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, / As in the day of Massah in the wilderness, / 'When your fathers tested Me, / They tried Me, though they had seen My work.'" 



If today you hear His voice, harden not your hearts.

Come, let us sing joyfully to the LORD;
let us acclaim the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come into His presence with thanksgiving;
let us joyfully sing psalms to Him.

Come, let us bow down in worship;
let us kneel before the LORD Who made us.
For He is our God,
and we are the people He shepherds, the flock He guides.

Oh, that today you would hear His voice:
"Harden not your hearts as at Meribah,
as in the day of Massah in the desert,
Where your fathers tempted Me;
they tested Me though they had seen My works."



Come let us worship and bow down
Let us kneel before the Lord
Our God our Maker
For He is our God
And we are the people of His pasture
And the sheep of His hand





Psalm 100:2-4:  "Serve the LORD with gladness / Come before Him with joyful singing...It is He Who has made us, and not we ourselves...Enter His gates with thanksgiving / And His courts with praise."


I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart
I will enter His courts with praise
I will say this is the day that the Lord has made
I will rejoice for He has made me glad

~Leona Von Brethorst, "I Will Enter His Gates"


[Side note: an interesting little bio here about Leona Von Brethorst.]




- Psalm 91:11-12 ("For He will give His angels charge concerning you, / To guard you in all your ways. / They will bear you up in their hands, / That you do not strike your foot against a stone.") will be familiar to anyone who has read the temptation of Jesus in Matthew 4:6 and Luke 4:10-11.


- Psalm 95:11 ("Therefore I swore in My anger, / Truly they shall not enter into My rest.") is quoted in Hebrews 4:3, 5.


Stay tuned for parts V and VI of the Psalm series.  I'm amazed both at the richness of this sacred book...and how much memory is in my brain, after all.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...