Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Day 7: Can't Stop Thinking



This post is part of a 31-day series.



I see the work of Your hands
Galaxies spin in a heavenly dance, O God
All that You are is so overwhelming

I hear the sound of Your voice
All at once it's a gentle and thundering noise, O God
All that You are is so overwhelming

I delight myself in You
Captivated by Your beauty
I'm overwhelmed, I'm overwhelmed by You

God, I run into Your arms
Unashamed because of mercy
I'm overwhelmed, I'm overwhelmed by You

-Big Daddy Weave, "Overwhelmed"



Yesterday, in good company with Charles Spurgeon, we discussed how when we're depressed, we can't think.


Today we'll discuss how, when we're depressed, we can't stop thinking.


Mental health experts call this rumination.


Ruminate, verb:  to go over in the mind repeatedly and often casually or slowly; to chew repeatedly for an extended period

(Thank you, Merriam-Webster)


Rumination is what cows and other grazers do with their cud.  They chew.  And chew.  And chew and chew and chew and chew.


It's what we do when we can't stop thinking about whatever we're anxious about, or how depressed we are.


I believe rumination is inevitable.


In fact, I believe God calls us to holy rumination:


"I will meditate on Your precepts...
I shall not forget Your word...

Your servant meditates on Your statutes...

I will meditate on Your wonders...

O LORD, I remember Your name in the night...

I shall diligently consider Your testimonies...

O how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.

My eyes anticipate the night watches,
That I may meditate on Your word.

Psalm 119:15-16, 23, 27, 55, 95, 97, 148


"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

Philippians 4:8


"Keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on the things above...Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you."

Colossians 3:1-2, 16


Holy rumination is one of the gifts God gives us in worship.  As we continue to name His attributes (You are holy.  You are good.  You are in control.  You are merciful.), our hearts are gradually lifted up to dwell on divine joys.


If I am overwhelmed, let it be by Him.


May I ruminate on His word, His name, and His grace.


Mmmm.....grace.


Next:  Guilt




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...